Sunday, February 28, 2010

French freedom Toast is what's for brunch!

Calm down, calm down, I didn't entirely take the weekend off from cooking! Today we enjoyed cinnamon and sugar French toast for a nice, leisurely Sunday brunch.

Brunch has always been my favorite meal probably because it doesn't happen every day, it seems like a treat. Also, much of Sunday brunch fare includes sweets so brunch is a glorified excuse to only eat sweet things and yummy berries.

Growing up, French toast was always a treat that my Gram made for me in the mornings if I slept over, or if she and my Gramps slept over at my house. I mean, who can resist a sweet, gooey breakfast? Cinnamon Toast Crunch doesn't cut it.
Michele's Cinnamon French Toast
(For four slices)
Fresh challah cut in thick slices (about 1/2inch-1 inch)2 eggs, beaten1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp sugar
3/4 c milk


Basically, ignore all of the measurements and use your judgment. Dip challah slices in egg and milk mixture to coat both sides. Sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mixture on one side. Fry in pan, flip, sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mixture on the other side. Flip, make sure egg is salmonella-free and done. Place on plate, sprinkle on cinnamon for effect.

My comments: I like the cinnamon sugar mixture because it adds an element of sweetness, rather than just cinnamon. Also, I add milk to the egg mixture so that an entire fried egg doesn't form on the bread. This way, there is something other than the egg on the bread=more uniform, French toast-looking creation!

Bon appetit!


1 comment:

  1. that is definitely not GLUTEN-FREE! but it looks SOOOO GOOOODDD!!! i was cooking and blogging all weekend, I feel like my tummy is still full this morning haha

    ReplyDelete