Lexie and I figured it out once: we bought a bottle of Manischewitz, a Passover Pizza and a movie and had a nice wine, dinner, and movie party.
Then came my apartment, where it was much easier to stash my Passover foods. And now, this has been my second time kashering the condo for Passover. (Last year, I said "forget it" and we ate at Dan's parents' the entire time)
I really hope you enjoy the Passover recipes! For you MOTs, they might seem pretty basic, but those that haven't tried it, Fried Matzah might look
This year, I was able to cook in our condo and bring the dishes over to Dan's parents. I was able to introduce everyone to how I start my dinners---serving Daniel and taking a picture!
Breakfasts
Matzah Brie (Fried Matzah) has an interesting consistency. It is kind of mushy like a pancake, but looks more like scalloped potatoes--without any sauce. The nice thing about fried matzah is that you can season it however you like. For instance, Dan is a salty matzah brie kind of guy, and I prefer sugar and cinnamon. I've a lot of different "seasonings" put onto Fried Matzah--even syrup (if Kosher for Passover). Some people like to saute onions and add them to the matzah brie.
Basically, for two people, you sh
Matzah Meal Pancakes
I have to say, these hockey pucks are nothing like my Dad's fluffy matzah meal pancakes. His are so good that my family used to have them almost every Sunday morning when I was a youngin'.
I wouldn't use my recipe, but here they are... I'll have to post my Dad's recipe one of these days because they iz good!
I used chocolate sauce on top!
Lunch
Matzah Pizza!
What is Passover without matzah pizza! As someone at Dan's office exclaimed "Is that pizza on a matzah?!" Why, yes, yes it is! And it is quite delicious! Maybe it is
Step 1: Take it out of the box
Step 2: Put the marinara on
Step 3: Place the cheese on top
And then you just bake it! (450F for about 5-10 minutes!)
Sides
My Mom sent me a recipe from the Pittsburgh Jewish Chronicle (Go Steelers!) for Carrot and Apple Kugel. This recipe was compiled by Angela Leibowicz. It was made by me!
1/4c vegetable oil or melted margarine
1 pound carrots
1 pound (about 3) apples
1 tsp sugar
1/3c matzah meal
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
3/4c toasted slivered almonds
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil a 4c pi
Grate the carrots in a food processor (I used a grater); you should have about 4 cups of grated carrot.
Peel, core and grate apples; you should have about 1 cup.
Combine all ingredients except 1/4c of the toasted almonds in a bowl and mix well. Coarsely grate 1/4c toasted almonds. (I omitted the almonds since I am allergic...)
Transfer the contents of the bowl to the prepared baking dish, sprinkle with grated almonds and place in oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the mixture is heated through and a few brown s
My tips: Use Gala or McIntosh apples. McIntosh get a little mushy when grated, but are wonderful for baking, so I used a mixture of Gala and McIntosh.
This dish definitely needs longer than 30 minutes in the oven. Keep checking, but my kugel was in the oven for almost 50 minutes.
Dinner
I would like to credit my sister-from-another-mister, Lauren, with being the first person to ever give me a recipe and invite me to make it with her! Lauren and I made her recipe for the Thai dish, Larb Gai. Although Passover precluded us from having enough lime juice, we all really enjoyed this spiceful (not spicy!) dish! I loved the texture and am so glad we made this! We had it plain as our main dish, but this could also be served as the stuffing for a lettuce wrap.
I don't have a picture for the Larb Gai, but next time I make it (or Lauren makes it)...I'll take a picture to post!
Desserts
Desserts were probably my favorite part of my Passover Challenge! I am proud to say that I came up with these recipes on my own---with inspiration for the Haystacks from a cooking project that my Mom's class made.
I thought to myself, "Gee, self, wouldn't it be nice to have something other than boxed, prepared desserts for Passover?" And I decided that for once, I should take a stand for Passover observers around the world! I made Passover Krispy Treats!
Michele's Passover Krispy Treats
1 bag marshmallows (Kosher for Passover Manischewitz---very gooey!)
1/2 box (or 3c) of frosted Passover cereal
2 tbsp margarine
1) Lightly coat a baking dish with margarine or non-stick cooking spray.
2) Melt margarine in a large, tall-walled skillet.
3) Melt marshmallows, a few at a time in margarine.
4) Stir in cereal making sure that it is all coated.
5) Transfer into baking dish, let cool and serve!
Compliment Tally: Robbie, Lauren, Dan's Mom! They loved them...
Michele's Passover Haystacks
adapted from the 3-4 y
To make about 12
1 1/2c chow mein noodles
8oz melted chocolate
1) Melt chocolate in a glass bowl in the oven and stir.
2) Break chow mein noodles into about 1inch and smaller pieces.
3) Mix chow mein noodles into melted chocolate to completely coat the noodles.
4) Form into small balls, haystacks, and place on greased aluminum foil (or baking sheet) to cool.
5) Place in fridge for at least 2 hours for chocolate to harden!
Dark chocolate delight!
Passover Apple Kugel (from the back of the Streit's Cake Meal Box)
3/4c sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2c water
4 large cooking apples
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 eggs
1/4c oil
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Grease a baking pan. (9x13)
3) Peel, core and cut apples into 1/4'' thick slices
4) Toss apples gently with lemon juice.
5) Combine cake meal, sugar and salt. Set aside.
6) Separate eggs---Mix yolks, water and oil until frothy.
7) Add the dry combine ingredients and sliced apples.
8) Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into apple mixture.
9) Pour into baking pan.
10) Bake for one hour, cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This was good! The taste kind of reminded Dan and I of bread pudding! My suggestion, buy an inexpensive Passover mixer so you can properly beat the egg whites until stiff. If I look funny at the wedding, it is because of the huge muscle in my right arm from beating the eggs by hand.
There they are! My Passover challenge, complete! Count 'em...eight dishes!
Bon appetit!

No comments:
Post a Comment